Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rememberance


Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in posting but it has been a whirlwind past couple of weeks. On June 15th my paternal grandmother, Bertha Welliver, passed away after battling an inoperable brain tumor for some time. So I flew back East to York, Pennsylvania, where literally my dad's entire family lives, to be with them and to attend the services honoring my grandma. Since a lot of you don't know much, if anything, about my family, I figured I'd share a bit about her life (some things that even I didn't know before she passed away.)

Anyone would tell you that my grandma was a very sweet and giving person, a wonderful wife, mother and grandmother. She inspires me with the way she welcomed people into her home as if they were family, saying "There's always room for one more." Which is a good thing, since she had 5children, 16 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter. She was raised by her grandparents in York. She was a member of a ladies' bowling league, the Salvation Army, and several veterans organization. Her one regret in life was that she only finished school through the 7th grade, as after that she had to stay home to help her grandmother. She left us on father's day, which we remarked was a heckuva gift for my grandpa, who passed away in 2005. Her service was held on the day she would have turned 86 years old.

I have so many fond memories of my grandma from when I was younger, and though I'll miss her I know she is at peace now for eternity with my grandpa, and that she lived a life brimming with people she loved fiercly, and that loved her just as fiercely right back. I can only hope to aspire to such a life.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Lindsay, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother's passing...but it is wonderful to hear about her life. I think we could all aspire to be like her- a bowling league- look out!

I hope your time in York with family was an encouraging one, I'll be thinking of you.

Rebekah said...

I am so sorry to hear the news about your Grandmother Lindsay. It is not easy letting go. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, she sounded like an amazing woman!