Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Geeking out


Working background for film & tv, as we have been steadily for about 2 months altogether, is a pretty good gig overall. It's not at all glamorous, and the hours can be very long, but donuts to dollars it's the easiest job I ever had, I meet really great people, I eat well everyday (usually) , the pay can be good, and I get to see some of my favorite actors at work!

One thing that has surprised me about working on a film or tv set is which actors I "geek out" about. The best example of this was this past Tuesday, when I worked on the movie "A Thousand Words" with Eddie Murphy. I've worked five days total on this movie, and, Eddie Murphy being a huge star, you'd think it would be obvious who I would be excited to see on set. But who was on set that day playing a Starbucks barista that I totally geeked out over?



Jack McBrayer! AKA Kenneth the Page from "30 Rock", one my absolute favorite shows. I knew I was beyond nerdy to be excited over seeing this actor when upon asking around I realized that hardly any of the other extras knew who he was. But he is one of my favorite characters on the show, and I was flipping out! I had to restrain myself from doing the unforgiveable and saying one of my favorite lines of his to him "No sir, I don't drink hot beverages at all. That's the devil's temperature!"

Chad and I have been pretty busy, especially Chad who essentially has a full-time job on "Angels and Demons", working nights as a Swiss Guard. Aside from "A Thousand Words", recently I've done background on Numb3rs, Greek, Californication, and Boston Legal. So we keep ourselves occupied, and what's really nice is I have been reading more than ever. Some books I have really loved lately are What is the What & The Red Tent. I'm in the middle of Angels and Demons right now, since Chad said it was pretty good. I never really got into The DaVinci Code, but I'm speeding through this one. I LOVE that I can read this much now. Feels right! Just like my geeky self!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

sounds exciting lindsay! thank you for giving us an update on all the fun shows you've been on..will you please let us know when they air? and I hope they'll be online ;)

i LOVED the red tent...you should also check out The Time Travelers Wife and the Twilight Series (vampire stuff, but really addicting)

Lewy said...

Thanks for the book suggestions! I absolutely BAWLED over The Red Tent. And What is the What, for that matter!

I'll definitely be listing shows I worked when they air this fall--at least the ones I think people watch!