Sunday, December 6, 2009

When it's grey in LA I sure like it that way

Grey skies these last few days, and rain in the forecast which I say is pretty swell. Most non-Northwesterners have the expected response of "what is WRONG with you Seattle people?" at that sort of pronouncement, but I have to say I honestly do like it when it rains here. When we first moved here it was one of the things that helped me feel more at peace and eased some of my homesickness.

Speaking of homesickness, we've been listening to Christmas music on WARM 106.9 streaming online - a true taste of home! :) I listened to that station every December in Seattle, and hearing all those same voices and songs is comforting... I also love simply hearing the names of cities and streets back home, what's happening with the weather, what's going on at Westlake Center or Bellevue Square... It only gets me more excited for our return to Seattle for Christmas! December 21 is just two weeks away!!


(This orange tree is just across from our unit...on the neighbors' property. So many beautiful, ripe satsuma oranges just out of reach! And the neighbors don't even touch them!!)
We've discovered with the change in the weather that our new place gets much colder than our old place! I forgot what it is like to resist getting up in the morning because your bed is so warm, and the house is so cold... Whenever we do move back to Seattle we are in serious trouble, because we are both big babies about being cold now!
We try not to turn the heat on (it's that LA-style wall radiator heat that's so inefficient), so instead we do what we did in Seattle - throw on sweaters and drink lots of tea. Unfortunately our tea kettle has official kicked the bucket... bad timing. I guess that's what microwaves are for!
I hope you are all staying warm and cozy! I love this time of year...

No comments: