The Waverly Four have returned from the wild! Chad, Erika, Tyler and I spent the last three nights in the San Bernardino National Forest, at Dogwood Campground near Lake Arrowhead (about an hour from Big Bear.) It was a much needed getaway from the smog and noise of the big bad city, and despite a couple of minor catastrophes it was just what the doctor ordered!
Dogwood was a great campground - rustic yet comfortable (hot showers!) And of course Chad was happy because he got to chop and burn things.
Lake Arrowhead was just 5 minutes away - blue and beautiful, with lots of quaint shops and restaurants. Unforunately it's all private access, so no swimming for us. :( 
GIANT FISH EVERYWHERE! And these ducks were so funny...We asked around about where we COULD go swimming/wading, and a local recommended Deep Creek, right along the famed Pacific Crest Trail. So off we hiked in the hot sun, backpacks filled with sandwiches, and meandered our way down this refreshingly cool creek.


Eventually we found our way down to THIS impressive spot!
The water was deep enough for some 'cliff diving' of sorts (for Chad anyway - the rest of us were too chicken!) Check it out!

Unfortunately for me it was in this pristine and rugged setting that disaster struck - I slipped and severely banged up the arch of my foot on a rock, and spent the rest of the boulder scrambling return trip limping along barefoot. Argg!! Stay tuned for impressive bruise photos...

Sigh...I really do love camping - grew up loving it - but of all vacations it is definitely the kind I am most happy to return home from, to my own bed and food and clean clothes. I adored our time at Dogwood, and am so excited to go back someday and do more exploring (on two feet!).
But for now Chad and I have our 5 year anniversary trip to look forward to! Just two weeks away!





1 comment:
5 years wow!
And that foot...I feel better sleeping in my bed tonight, for you!
Post a Comment