Saturday, January 19, 2008

In this frigid weather

Nothing like a day in Santa Monica to further my resolve that LA is on another planet altogether.

When we were deciding where we wanted to live in LA, anywhere near the beach was quickly struck from the list, since we did not want to be far from the studios and subsequently sit in traffic all day. However, after our beach day I can see why so many people are drawn to living by the ocean down here... it's freaking gorgeous!! Even on a "chilly" day, it was near heaven to walk along the beach with the sun on our faces, dreaming of what it might be like to wake up in the morning and hop on our bikes for a ride along coast, down a nicely paved path. What a very different life that must be from anything we've known.
As you can see from the picture above, we were essentially the only ones on the beach, and it was quickly concluded that we must look like out of towners, walking along in this frigid weather wearing flip-flips and shorts, carrying beach towels. In fact, I feel that way everywhere here. It seems like everyone else is wearing jackets, sweaters and boots, but it's almost 70 degrees out! Who wears a scarf in sweltering 70 degree heat??

The drive home from the beach made us realize all over again why we don't live by the beach. Santa Monica is 20 miles from our house, and it took us an hour and a half to drive back at 3 o'clock the afternoon. See, if I lived on the beach, I'd probably never leave.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

oh Santa Monica, my old stomping grounds. It is gorgeous, isn't it? I had a beach cruiser when I lived there...but I didn't use it nearly enough. The thing about living close to the beach is you take it for granted.

I hear you're coming back to Seattle for a bit! Jeff and I are excited to have you stay with us...we'll have to figure out the details soon.