Monday, March 1, 2010

Oscar! Oscar! Oscar!

I'd hazard a guess that ya'll are cognisant about how much I love the Oscars. A lot. They always seem to get my motor running, and this year is no exception. Some people say it was not a good year for film but I disagree - I enjoyed a lot of the movies and performances that came out of the past year, and many of those movies and performances got nominated, so I'm happy!

I can't claim any great expertise in foreshadowing who will or should get the statuettes on March 7th. But I'd love to share with you some of my impressions of the past year in cinema anyway.

Best Pic Noms:

Avatar - I did enjoy this movie. Beautiful, striking, exciting - I went with it. BUT. This is not the best pic of the bunch - it's lacking in too many other important categories (acting, screenplay, direction) in spite of it's status as a "game changer". Also James Cameron needs a haircut.

Hurt Locker - Great flick. So effective, stark, real, and ridiculously well-executed on the Hollywood budget equivalent of a 12-year old's allowance. My experience of it suffered a little from all the recent hype, but hopefully that doesn't affect it's chances because this is my pick to win. It wasn't my favorite this year, but I do want it to win Best Pic. Also I'm pulling for Bigelow for Direction.

An Education - A little slow and pensive, but golly that Carrie Mulligan is fantastic. I want to be just like her when I grow up.

Precious - LOVED this film. And I never want to see it again. This is the film that affected me the most this year.

District 9 - My other favorite of the year. The story of a man pursuing a clear, immediate objective with every fiber of his being, all wrapped up in a rollercoaster of a sci-fi action thriller. Is it wrong that I felt more for the 'Prawns' than I did for the Na'vi?

Inglourious Basterds - Christophe Waltz was the best thing about this movie, and that was more than enough for me. As far as Tarantino flicks go Kill Bill reigns as my favorite.

Up - Like so many others, this movie had me bawling in the first five minutes. And then smiling and giggling and cheering like an idiot the rest of the way. A total joy, and proof that carefully crafted animated characters can affect an audience just as much as live actors (ahem, Avatar.)

Up in the Air - Good film, great acting. Topical without being heavy handed, effective yet subtle (well, to a point. Anna Kendrick's breakdown in the hotel is beyond ridiculous, and so wonderful for it.)

A Serious Man - Didn't see this one, and probably won't before Sunday. Sorry Coens. Side-note: they used to live in our old house on Waverly.

The Blind Side - Also didn't see this one, and don't really care to. Sorry Sandra.

In the acting categories it's pretty clear it'll be Jeff Bridges, Christoph Waltz, Mo'Nique and (sigh) Sandra Bullock. I am still pulling for Meryl (I loved her!) but you gotta admit Sandra does have the edge with the Blind Side getting a Best Pic nomination.

But we'll soon see! Sunday is fast approaching! I can barely contain myself...

What are your favorite films or performances from 2009?

No comments: