I am so thrilled to be able to check the LA Marathon off my list! The race itself lived up to all my expectations - the course was fantastic, the supporters and volunteers were amazing, and even mother nature played nice and we had a beautiful day of cool temps, no rain (which was strongly predicted), and a fair amount of sunshine! The whole experience of the day itself, our 12 weeks of training, and fundraising for ThinkCure is something that will stick with me forever.
Our day started at 5am, when Chad and I dragged ourselves out of bed to some pretty chilly (OK, "LA chilly") temps. I didn't sleep very well Saturday night - woke up at 1:30 and could not get back to sleep until at least 3:45, and then had bad dreams about missing the start of the race. But thankfully I had made sure to hit the hay early during the week, so I wasn't very tired from missing one night's rest.
![]() |
| Let's hit the road! |
If you ever wondered what 23,000 people looks like, it looks like this:
| I'm one of those white dots at the back. |
The first 6 or so miles of the race are through downtown LA, which was one of my favorite parts of the course. Mostly because I was still feeling great and I told myself to savor those first miles before things started hurting, but also because you just don't get much opportunity to experience downtown like that! It was surprisingly neat, and I had actually thought it would the most boring part. At Our Lady of Angels Cathedral they were ringing the church bells, and nearby a line of Taiko drummers were keeping the runners apace at the top of the steep hill by Disney Concert Hall.
From there they course takes the runners through Echo Park - not the most interesting part of the course, but at one point there was a group handing out "FREE SLOPPY GREASY CHILI DOGS", tongue firmly in cheek. :)
Next up was Sunset Junction, in Silverlake. This was another favorite segment of mine. I was not expecting so many course supporters! I swear I was smiling the biggest, goofiest grin for about a mile - it was impossible not to smile & say thank you with so much positive energy. I couldn't even hear my music, the cheers were so loud. A girl was holding a big purple sign that said "Ur training lasted longer than Kim Kardashian's wedding", which gave me a good giggle.
And then there was Hollywood and West Hollywood - when things started hurting a little. Around mile 13 I had that familiar, terrifying thought: "Oh no... I'm only halfway done." But WeHo really brought it with the course support - drag queen cheerleaders, go-go dancers, just one big party, basically - and my fears were banished... for the moment. Also in this area I saw one of my favorite signs, a famous quote in a store window: "If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon". :) Then right after that someone had a sign that said "Worst Parade Ever" and I pretty much bust a gut laughing.
![]() |
| What am I doing with my hands, and why did it seem appropriate at the time? |
![]() |
| I do not remember this. |
![]() |
| Looks like the finish line! But it's not. |
Coming down Ocean Boulevard towards the finish felt so good. I don't think I felt the pain, but I can't remember because I was so focused on just getting to that dern finish line. The crowd was packed in like sardines on either side of the course, everyone screaming, people cheering & clapping - dang that feels good! Who cares that they've been doing that for the last 5000 runners!
![]() |
| DONE! BIG SMILE!!! |
Chad came in around 4:22:00, which he wasn't super happy with but is still a huge accomplishment, and not far off from our previous PR of 4:16:00. Chad is pretty sure his best race is the half marathon, not the full. I'm still pretty in love with 26.2. :)
![]() |
| Booyah. |
| Marathoners! |
Thanks to everyone for your support as we've trained & raised money for cancer research!






No comments:
Post a Comment