
Chad and I watched the documentary "Blindsight" yesterday. What an inspiring story, and shot so effectively - without being overly glossy or pushing the feel-good/heartstring-tugging agenda. It doesn't need either since the story is so inherently stirring.
The film follows 6 blind Tibeten children (ages 14-19) who attend a school for the blind in Tibet run by a blind woman from Germany. Inspired by the accomplishments of Eric Weihenmayer - the first blind person to climb Mt. Everest - they embark on an expedition with him and a team of guides to climb one of the peaks near Everest.
If that weren't enough to start you believing you can accomplish anything, to top it off in Tibetan culture blindness is considered a "curse" for evil acts committed in a previous life. These kids are ostracized, humiliated and repeatedly told they are broken & won't be able to do anything in life - even by their families. What these children have to overcome in life is beyond anything I know. Which of course gets you thinking - what on earth is stopping me from climbing my own Everest?
Anyway, check it out if you get a chance, it's definitely worth it. If for no other reason than the priceless footage over the end credits of the little Tibetan boy singing his heart out for the cameras. :)
2 comments:
Great review - thanks for the tip. I will definitely check it out!
In unrelated news, I either did not know or not remember that you had a blog, until I spotted the link on your facebook page. Now, that I'm FOLLOWING, I will get all the updates ;)
Oh, and love the Ten on Ten idea. Might have to try that. (well, might have to wait until next month since I'll likely be on set for 15 hours without a phone or camera ;)
Thanks Jeff - glad you found my blog! Ten on Ten is fun - you should definitely give it a try. :)
Post a Comment