One of my favorite nights of television is swiftly approaching: The Academy Awards! Yes, the Oscars are exactly a week away, and sadly this year we are forced to forgo our highly anticipated and heralded annual Oscars Party. Chad and I are leaving for Seattle on Friday so I can start rehearsals on Tuesday. The Oscars Party is always a blast, with award trivia, a "predict the winners" contest (with fabulous prizes--usually just stuff we find around the house), nominee-themed food & drink (last years favorites included "The Deviled Egg Wears Prada", "Al Smore's An Inconvenient Fruit" chocolate fondue, "Last King of Scotch-land" on the rocks...) and plenty of sass all around about who should have won.
The party will be greatly missed this year, but I figured I'd make my predictions formally right here, and come Monday the 25th I'll have a sassy blog about being wrong on most of them. My problem is I tend to go with my heart instead of who I think will win... So what I'll do here to combat that is break down who I want to win, versus who will most likely win. Here we go!
Best Actor in a Leading Role
George Clooney in “Michael Clayton”
Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”
Johnny Depp in “Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
Tommy Lee Jones in “In the Valley of Elah”
Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”
While I have heard arguments for Johnny and Tommy to win in this category, I cannot imagine anyone winning besides my boy Daniel Day-Lewis. In my opinion there has not been a more powerful performance in a movie by a leading actor in many years. Within one single moment in this movie Day-Lewis stirred me to tears, laughter and horror simultaneously. The last time DD-L was up for an Oscar (for Gangs of New York) he lost in shocking fashion to newcome Adrian Brody (for The Pianist). I think the Academy will be keeping that in mind here, as well.
Who will win: Daniel Day-Lewis
Who should win: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Cate Blanchett in “Elizabeth: The Golden Age”
Julie Christie in “Away from Her”
Marion Cotillard in “La Vie en Rose”
Laura Linney in “The Savages”
Ellen Page in “Juno"
This is a tough category, one that I feel very strongly about this year. Julie Christie has won the "indicator" awards (SAG and Golden Globe), and is the favorite to win. However, Marion Cotillard also won SAG, and moreover gives quite honestly the best performance I have ever seen by a actress in "La Vie en Rose". If you haven't seen this movie, please do. Some say she can't win because the movie did not gain enough attention, but it's the Academy members who watch it that count.
Who will win: Julie Christie
Who should win: Marion Cotillard
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Casey Affleck in “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
Javier Bardem in “No Country for Old Men”
Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Charlie Wilson’s War”
Hal Holbrook in “Into the Wild”
Tom Wilkinson in “Michael Clayton”
No question.
Who will win: Javier Bardem
Who should win: Javier Bardem
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Cate Blanchett in “I’m Not There”
Ruby Dee in “American Gangster”
Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement”
Amy Ryan in “Gone Baby Gone”
Tilda Swinton in “Michael Clayton”
A very difficult category for me. The indicator awards have been spread amongst Blanchett, Swinton, Ryan and Dee. My heart says Amy Ryan will win, and rightfully so. Who will win is anyone's guess. My guess is...
Who will win: Tilda Swinton
Who should win: Amy Ryan
Best Picture
"Atonement"
"Juno"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Michael Clayton"
"There Will Be Blood"
This category pains me to no end. I really don't want Atonement to win. Expect some sass from me on this one Monday morning.
Who will win: "Atonement"
Who should win: "No Country for Old Men"
*Honorable mention: "There Will Be Blood"
I won't go through all the others to great extent or I fear you might never come back to my blog. So here are my summarized "will wins" of some other favorite categories:
Best Director: The Coen Brothers, "No Country for Old Men"
Best Animated Feature: "Ratatouille"
Documentary: "Sicko"
Adapted Screenplay: "No Country for Old Men"
Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno" (oh please oh please!)
So there you go! They're official. I'll probably get about 60% right (I think that was my record last year). If I beat that, I'll give myself a prize!
The party will be greatly missed this year, but I figured I'd make my predictions formally right here, and come Monday the 25th I'll have a sassy blog about being wrong on most of them. My problem is I tend to go with my heart instead of who I think will win... So what I'll do here to combat that is break down who I want to win, versus who will most likely win. Here we go!
Best Actor in a Leading Role
George Clooney in “Michael Clayton”
Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”
Johnny Depp in “Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”
Tommy Lee Jones in “In the Valley of Elah”
Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”
While I have heard arguments for Johnny and Tommy to win in this category, I cannot imagine anyone winning besides my boy Daniel Day-Lewis. In my opinion there has not been a more powerful performance in a movie by a leading actor in many years. Within one single moment in this movie Day-Lewis stirred me to tears, laughter and horror simultaneously. The last time DD-L was up for an Oscar (for Gangs of New York) he lost in shocking fashion to newcome Adrian Brody (for The Pianist). I think the Academy will be keeping that in mind here, as well.
Who will win: Daniel Day-Lewis
Who should win: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Cate Blanchett in “Elizabeth: The Golden Age”
Julie Christie in “Away from Her”
Marion Cotillard in “La Vie en Rose”
Laura Linney in “The Savages”
Ellen Page in “Juno"
This is a tough category, one that I feel very strongly about this year. Julie Christie has won the "indicator" awards (SAG and Golden Globe), and is the favorite to win. However, Marion Cotillard also won SAG, and moreover gives quite honestly the best performance I have ever seen by a actress in "La Vie en Rose". If you haven't seen this movie, please do. Some say she can't win because the movie did not gain enough attention, but it's the Academy members who watch it that count.
Who will win: Julie Christie
Who should win: Marion Cotillard
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Casey Affleck in “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”
Javier Bardem in “No Country for Old Men”
Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Charlie Wilson’s War”
Hal Holbrook in “Into the Wild”
Tom Wilkinson in “Michael Clayton”
No question.
Who will win: Javier Bardem
Who should win: Javier Bardem
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Cate Blanchett in “I’m Not There”
Ruby Dee in “American Gangster”
Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement”
Amy Ryan in “Gone Baby Gone”
Tilda Swinton in “Michael Clayton”
A very difficult category for me. The indicator awards have been spread amongst Blanchett, Swinton, Ryan and Dee. My heart says Amy Ryan will win, and rightfully so. Who will win is anyone's guess. My guess is...
Who will win: Tilda Swinton
Who should win: Amy Ryan
Best Picture
"Atonement"
"Juno"
"No Country for Old Men"
"Michael Clayton"
"There Will Be Blood"
This category pains me to no end. I really don't want Atonement to win. Expect some sass from me on this one Monday morning.
Who will win: "Atonement"
Who should win: "No Country for Old Men"
*Honorable mention: "There Will Be Blood"
I won't go through all the others to great extent or I fear you might never come back to my blog. So here are my summarized "will wins" of some other favorite categories:
Best Director: The Coen Brothers, "No Country for Old Men"
Best Animated Feature: "Ratatouille"
Documentary: "Sicko"
Adapted Screenplay: "No Country for Old Men"
Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno" (oh please oh please!)
So there you go! They're official. I'll probably get about 60% right (I think that was my record last year). If I beat that, I'll give myself a prize!
No comments:
Post a Comment