Sunday, November 8, 2009

Bike Rides and Bakeries

Chad and I have had such a nice Sunday so far - the best part of which was a bike ride along the LA River and through Griffith Park, followed by a stop at this great local bakery for a shared piece of delicious strawberry coffee cake and a heavenly "bruti ma buoni", which is a little meringue cookie filled with hazelnuts and chocolate chips. The name means "ugly but good" in Italian. :) I am so in love with this cookie... it is definitely one of my next baking projects, along with the lemon-almond-olive oil-rosemary cake we got to taste-test. Mmmmm.... Going to places like the Village Bakery give both of us crazy ideas like opening up our own little bread and pastry shop!



Do I write about food a lot? Man, I just cannot help it... It is a thing that brings me such joy on a daily basis, especially since we taught ourselves how to eat right!

Anyway, back to the bike ride - where we ride along the LA River is actually an astonishingly little ecosystem. Though it's made entirely out of concrete (and regrettably littered with garbage) it is home to all kinds of incredible birds and fish and I can't help but slow down and take them all in as we ride by.

These are some of my favorites that you see pretty often there, fishing and walking around so dainty and graceful in the shallow water. The top two are black-necked stilts, the bottom is an egret.






Hope your Sunday was full of lots of simple joys!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh, if you opened a bakery in Seattle I would totally eat there.